Sunday, September 21, 2008

So It Begins...

It's been over a week since Hurricane Ike pounded south east Texas. As of now, about a million people still do not have power. There are neighborhoods where one side of the street have power and the other side doesn't. Driving through darkened neighborhoods one hears the distant sounds of many generators running. I've been saying from the beginning that when all this is over, the power companies (namely Centerpoint and Entergy) are going to take a big public backlash like FEMA did for Katrina. In today's Houston Chronicle it's already starting. I think it's a fair question. Those million people without power would like to know why it is taking so long. So far I've heard stories that power workers couldn't work because trees had to be cleared and there are no tree cutters around. Some power workers saw lights on a house and assumed the power was on (when in reality it was a generator doing the work). If I were the head of Centerpoint I would already be in damage control mode and explaining why areas are still without power. Or maybe they have, I just haven't been watching news lately.

No comments: